How to password protect MS Excel and MS Word files
Protecting MS Word and Excel files is very important when you have confidential data in it. People who wants to keep their Excel and Word files protected with password may enable password protection in excel or word document files. You can not only set password for view restriction but also you can set separate password for editing the files so that only authorized persons can modify the files.
Below are the steps for protecting your MS Word and Excel files with password.
1. Open the MS Word or Excel file which you want to protect with password.
2. Click on the File menu and then click Save As.
3. In the save As window Select “General options” from the tools drop down options as shown below:
4. In the General Options window you can specify two type of password 1. Password to open 2. Password to modify.
Password to open: This option will allow you to set a password for viewing the file.
Password to modify: This option will allow you set a password for modifying the file.
5. After entering the password Save the file, when saving the file you can enter a different name to keep the original file unprotected.