How you can Benefit from using CDN service on your website
What does CDN stand for? CDN stands for “Content Delivery Network”. Basically CDN is a system of servers placed over different geographical locations around the world. Whenever any requester request for a resource or file, they get it from the server which is closest to the requestor location thereby making the download faster.
What kind of Files can a CDN deliver?
Any static files like java script, CSS, image files, video files, mp3 files, PDF files etc.
What can not be delivered by CDN?
Any dynamically generated content cannot be delivered by a CDN. Any dynamically generated files need to be hosted on your server.
As now you have knowledge of what a CDN is let’s discuss how you can be benefited by using a CDN service. I will discuss several parts of this topic.
Benefits of using CDN service:
1. Client side user experience is optimized as the static files will be delivered faster to your visitors because they will get the files from the nearest server.
2. CDN network will never get down because if one server is down the files will be delivered from other server. So service will always be available.
3. You will save the bandwidth of your network and load on webserver will decrease as the static files will be hosted in other server.
4. You have got less files to maintain on your server.
5. Over all performance of your website increases and you get more satisfied visitors.
Some of the best CDN service providers:
1. CacheFly CDN
2. GoGrid CDN
3. Edgecast CDN
5. Internap CDN
6. Max CDN
7. Vox Cast CDN
10. HighWinds CDN
Finally if you have an ecommerce website, online gaming site or any other type of website that receives a significant amount of traffic then a CDN is must to ensure that your users have a reliable user experience. In my upcoming post I will discuss about how to select a good CDN service provider according to your requirements.