Undo Sent Email in Gmail: How to Recall Email In Gmail
Do you know that you can recall any email sent via Gmail to avoid sending it to the wrong person? This feature in Gmail is called Undo Send Gmail. Here is How to Enable Undo Send feature in Gmail.
If you are on Microsoft Exchange server then recall of email is provided by default and you can use this feature to recall any sent email on Exchange server until that recipient reads the email. But once read you cannot recall that email.
But before going into the detail of how to recall email in Gmail, let me give a little information about what is Recall Email and How it works in Gmail.
You can also Read:
What is Recall Email?
Recalling of email is a feature by which you can undo sent email until the recipient reads the email. But once the email is opened and read by the recipient you cannot recall it any more. This is how it work in Microsoft exchange server.
How does Recall Email work in Gmail?
Recall Gmail does not work the traditional way that works in exchange server. In Gmail, it works by delaying the delivery process up to 30 seconds. Up to 30 seconds the email does not leave Gmail server. So, you have maximum of 30 seconds to recall that email in Gmail.
But by default, “Undo Send” feature is not enabled in Gmail account, you must enable this feature. After being in beta state for a long time, now this feature has been rolled out to mass for use.
Here is a YouTube video that explains the complete process of Recalling email in Gmail.
How to Enable Undo Send / Recall Feature in Gmail
Login to Your Gmail account and click on the cog wheel that is placed at the top right corner and select Settings.
Under the General tab scroll a little bit down and tick the checkbox labelled as “Enable Undo Send”.
Click the drop down box labelled as “Send cancellation period” to select the desired delay time in seconds. You can select from 5 seconds to 30 seconds (5,10,20,30 seconds).
It is advised to keep this value at 30 seconds as you will get more time to recall that email. In other words, this is the time period within which you can hit that Undo button.
Now as you have set everything perfect, hit the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
How to use Undo Send to Recall Email in Gmail
Now as you have enabled the Undo send feature, you will be able to recall any email send now on wards. After sending an email you can see a confirmation pop up which says “Your message has been sent. undo, View message”. If you want to recall this message click on Undo link and your email will be recalled.
But remember once this message box disappears you cannot recall the email anymore. So, you must act fast.
FAQs on Undo Send in Gmail
1. Is the Undo Send feature enabled by default?
Ans: No, you must enable it to use the recall feature in Gmail.
2. Can I Recall the email after the Undo Send pop up message disappeared?
Ans: No, you cannot.
3. Can I recall the email sent in past?
Ans: No, you cannot recall any email that was sent in past as the maximum time to undo send email is 30 seconds after which you can never recall that email.
4. Can I recall email sent to any non-Gmail email id?
Ans: Yes, you can recall email sent to any email id, provided you must act within time limit set by you.
Below are steps to summarize the whole process:
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Click the cog wheel at the top right, select Settings.
- Under the General tab (the default page) tick the box which says ‘Enable undo send’.
- Use the drop down box to choose how long you’d like to delay sending the email. Keep it 30 seconds for better result.
- Hit Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
- Now Gmail Recall feature is enabled on your Gmail account.
- After sending an email you can see a confirmation pop up which says “Your message has been sent. undo, View message”. If you want to recall this message click on Undo link and your email will be recalled.