Track Your WordPress Site Speed With Google Analytics
Site speed or page loading speed is one of the important aspects of SEO. Google sees site speed as a major factor in showing search results as well as ranking the page. Google penalizes those sites which are slow in loading as Google wants their users to have the best web experience. So it is very important to track your site speed and take appropriate action required for those pages which loads slow.
But is that an easy job to track your site speed page by page? Mostly we rely on third party paid services to check the performance of page loading for each and every page. But this tutorial will tell you how easily you can track your site loading performance easily with Google Analytics. This is not a hack or something else. The service is provided by Google Analytics for free.
I am sure most of the site owners and webmasters must have Google Analytics account to track their visitors. So let’s see how to track site speed with Google Analytics.
How to Track Site Speed with Google Analytics
Here we are assuming that you already have a Google Analytics account. If you do not have an account, please create it and follow the procedure given here.
1. First of all open your website in a web browser and view the source code of the page by right clicking and selecting view source.
2. If you have already added the analytics code to your website then search for the code _trackPageLoadTime, if it is already present there you do not need to do any changes for the analytics code. But if you do not find the above code follow the below procedure to add page loading analytics code to your original analytics code.
3. Just add the code _gaq.push([‘_trackPageLoadTime’]); to your original analytics code just after the code _gaq.push([‘_trackPageview’]); as shown below.
That’s all from changing the analytics code for tracking page loading with Google Analytics.
Where can I see my site’s page loading performance in Google Analytics Account?
1. Once you have changed the analytics code you can check the page loading performance in the new UI of Google Analytics. You need to switch to the new look of the Google Analytics, to do so click on the ‘New version’ link at the top navigation menu.
2. Once you have navigated to the new version of Analytics you can see the page loading under the Content->Site speed link located at the left navigation menu.
That’s all now you can see the page loading performance graph of each page that is visited.
Google Analytics page loading tracker for WordPress powered sites
For integrating Google analytics page loading performance checker into your WordPress based site you can use the plugin Google Analytics for WordPress which is free and easy to use. The latest version of this plugin allows you to easily add the page loading code to your analytics code.
Note: You may not see the page loading graph immediately after changing your code, it may take 1-2 hrs to display the page loading graph.