What is NFC, Near Field Communication? How does it work in mobile phones?
NFC or Near Field Communication is a technology which makes life easier and more convenient for consumers around the world by making it simpler in transaction, data transfer, and document transfer with just a simple touch. An NFC enabled smart phone or tablet can make your money transaction, credit card payment etc.
NFC enabled devices can read NFC tags or retail display to get more information or an audio or video presentation. NFC can share contacts, photos, songs, applications, or videos or pair Bluetooth devices.
Latest NFC standards allow users to quickly purchase products and transfer secure information by touching devices.
NFC more simplifies the social networking options as below:
1. File Sharing: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share a contact, photo,
song, application, video, or website link.
2. Electronic business card: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share
electronic business cards or resumes.
3. Mobile gaming: Tap one NFC device to another to enter a multiplayer game.
4. Friend-to-friend: You could touch NFC devices together to Facebook friend each
other or share a resume or to “check-in” at a location.
NFC hugely expands the E-Commerce opportunities by increasing transaction
speed and more accuracy. It also reduces the staffing requirements. NFC is used in
E-Commerce as below:
1. Mobile payments: Payments can be made by NFC enabled mobile devices just by
touching to the payment terminal and entering the PIN.
2. Google Wallet: Google Wallet is the mobile app that stores your credit card
information virtually and uses it at purchase center, PIN is required.
There are lot of other E-Commerce areas where NFC is broadly used.
NFC enabled devices can be used as Identity cards for employees, students etc.
Keys: An NFC enabled device can also be used as Office,Home or locker keys.
How does NFC work in mobile phones:
NFC technology is broadly used in mobile phones. An NFC chip is used in cell phones
to enable it with NFC. NFC is used in cell phones for the below purpose:
1. Mobile payments: NFC enabled cell phone are used for making payments at retail
shop, for transferring money from one account to another account. All these can be
done just by touching the NFC enabled cell phone to other NFC device.
2. For transferring data from one cell phone to other cell phone. You can transfer your
data to other NFC enabled cell phone just by touching the two devices together.
Google wallet is an android based app which enables you to make NFC based transactions.